The Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union offers linguistic traineeships for university graduates or students from the Member States of the EU who wish to acquire an understanding of the Translation Centre´s work and gain professional experience. In accordance with Administrative Decision No 1/2010 on traineeships offered by the Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union, the Translation Centre is organizing a selection procedure for the following three trainee positions in 2018:
- 1 Maltese translator (Translation Department)
- 1 Irish translator (Translation Department)
- 1 Finnish translator (Translation Department)
Selection criteria and planned duration of the traineeship
1.1. Eligibility criteriaTo be eligible to take part in this selection procedure, the applicant must, on the closing date for applications (9 April 2018), meet the following requirements:
- Have completed at least four semesters of university studies, or equivalent education, in a field of interest to the Centre;
- Level of skills: have obtained some initial experience in one of the areas of work engaged in by the Centre, either:
- From a specialist component of the applicant´s studies for a university degree, from a dissertation or other research project conducted as part of his/her studies, or
- Through work experience, or a previous traineeship, of at least two months duration, or
- Through a language-related traineeship: applicants, in that case, must be able to translate from two official European Union languages into their main language;
- Language requirements: applicants must have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory command of another official European Union language, to the extent necessary for carrying out the duties to be performed. A good knowledge of one of the working languages of the Centre (French or English) is an advantage.
1.2. Selection criteriaIn addition to the above, applicants must meet the following specific requirements for the various trainee positions (“principal language” below means mother tongue, or a language of which the applicants have an equivalent command):
- Maltese translator: translation studies, with Maltese as principal language.Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2018.
- Irish translator: translation studies, with Irish as principal language. Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2018.
- Finnish translator: translation studies, with Finnish as principal language. Duration of traineeship: three months between June and December 2018.
Application procedureFor applications to be valid, applicants must submit, in an A4-format envelope, the following:
- the application form, duly completed, signed and dated, which is available at: cdt.europa.eu,
- a copy of the diplomas or certificates,
- a letter of recommendation attesting experience in the field of the traineeship being applied for.
Selection procedureThe selection procedure will be carried out in two parts:
- The first part will be based on the above-mentioned eligibility criteria (see 1.1.), and is intended to ascertain whether the applicant meets all the mandatory eligibility criteria and all the formal requirements laid down in the application procedure. Applicants who do not meet these criteria will not be considered.
- The second part will consider the selection criteria (see 1.2.) and the suitability of the applicant´s profile in relation to the traineeship to be awarded. This part will be marked on a scale from 0 to 10.